One of our recommended routes, the Northern Circuit Clockwise is a relatively new route option that runs along the north side of Kili and allows almost a complete circumnavigation of Kibo. This beautiful route allows you to experience a side of the mountain that most never see. The route starts the same as Lemosho, then heads around the north side of Kibo linking up with Rongai route to the summit. Only available in the dry season, it avoids the crowds of the more popular routes. It is certainly the road less traveled. The altitude gain over the duration provides for excellent acclimatization for a high success rate.
Northern Circuit Clockwise can be done in 8, 9 or 10 days.
Sample Route (9 Days):
- Day 1: Start at Lemosho Start Point (2385m) and hike for 5km for ~4 to 5 hours with an altitude gain of 395m to Mti Mkubwa (Big Tree Camp – 2780m).
- Day 2: Hike from Mti Mkubwa (2780m) 8km for ~6 to 7 hours with an altitude gain of 720m to Shira 1 Camp (3500m).
- Day 3: Hike from Shira 1 Camp (3500m) 7km for ~4 to 5 hours with an altitude gain of 400m to Shira 2 Camp (3900m).
- Day 4: Hike from Shira 2 Camp (3900m) 5km for ~3 to 4 hours with an altitude gain of 275m to Moir Camp (4175m).
- Day 5: Hike from Moir Camp (4175m) 9km for ~7 to 8 hours with an altitude loss of 150m to Pofu Camp (4025m).
- Day 6: Hike from Pofu Camp (4025m) 8km for ~6 to 7 hours with an altitude loss of 90m to Third Cave Camp (3935m).
- Day 7: Hike from Third Cave Camp (3935m) 6km for ~4 to 5 hours with an altitude again of 815m to Kibo Hut (4750m).
- Day 8: From Kibo Hut (4750m) depart early in the morning and hike 9km for ~6 to 8 hours with an altitude gain of 1195m to Uhuru Summit (5895m), then descend 18km for ~5 to 6 hours with an altitude loss of 2105m to Millennium Camp (3790m).
- Day 9: Descend from Millennium Camp (3790m) 13km for ~5 to 6 hours with an altitude loss of 2160m to Mweka Gate (1630m).
The Crater Camp Supplement is available upon special request. This adds one day to the route and will only be accommodated on a 7 day itinerary (8 days total on the mountain) for safety reasons.
Pricing is based on the number of climbers in the group and the number of days on the mountain. Pricing below does not include non-mountain costs such as airport transfers and lodging. Those costs can be found by clicking here.
- Single: $2,900 USD
- Group of 2: $2,474 USD per person
- Group of 3: $2,280 USD per person
- Group of 4 to 8: $2,182 USD per person
- Single: $3,207 USD
- Group of 2: $2,757 USD per person
- Group of 3: $2,548 USD per person
- Group of 4 to 8: $2,443 USD per person
For groups larger than 8 and climbs longer than 9 days, please inquire via email for a custom quote.