Rongai Route offers a different experience than the routes on the southern slope. Starting to the north, near the Kenyan border, it is much drier, so is the best option during the rainy season. Elephants frequent the tall grass along the route on the first days. Multiple route variation options exist which allow more effective acclimatization than the original direct route. This route starts from the north and covers the east side of Kili including great proximity to Mawenzi. It is gentle trekking and also sees relatively less traffic than the more popular routes on Kili.
Rongai variations can be done in 6, 7 or 8 days.
Sample Route (6 Days):
- Day 1: Start at Nalemuru Gate (1990m) and hike 7km for ~3 to 4 hours with an altitude gain of 635m to Simba Camp (2625m).
- Day 2: Hike from Simba Camp (2625m) 12km for ~6 to 8 hours with an altitude gain of 1005m to Kikelewa Camp (3630m).
- Day 3: Hike from Kikelewa Camp (3630m) 4km for ~3 to 4 hours with an altitude gain of 680m to Mawenzi Tarn (4310m).
- Day 4: Hike from Mawenzi Tarn (4310m) 9km for ~6 to 7 hours with an altitude again of 390m to Kibo Hut (4700m).
- Day 5: From Kibo Hut (4700m) depart early in the morning and hike 9km for ~6 to 8 hours with an altitude gain of 1195m to Uhuru Summit (5895m), then descend 19km for ~5 to 6 hours with an altitude loss of 2195m to Horombo Hut (3700m).
- Day 6: Descend from Horombo Hut (3700m) 18km for ~5 to 7 hours with an altitude loss of 2000m to Marangu Gate (1700m).
Additional days allow for better acclimatization and a higher summit success chance. The above itinerary would be adjusted to accommodate.
The Crater Camp Supplement is available upon special request. This adds one day to the route and will only be accommodated on a 7 day itinerary (8 days total on the mountain) for safety reasons.
Pricing is based on the number of climbers in the group and the number of days on the mountain. Pricing below does not include non-mountain costs such as airport transfers and lodging. Those costs can be found by clicking here.
- Single: $2,287 USD
- Group of 2: $1,909 USD per person
- Group of 3: $1,743 USD per person
- Group of 4 to 8: $1,660 USD per person
- Single: $2,593 USD
- Group of 2: $2,192 USD per person
- Group of 3: $2,011 USD per person
- Group of 4 to 8: $1,921 USD per person
For groups larger than 8 and climbs longer than 7 days, please inquire via email for a custom quote.