Umbwe Route is not for the faint of heart. It is a beautiful, but grueling steep direct assault up a wet, seldom used trail and will set you up for failure if you are not per-acclimatized (which can be accomplished on Mt. Meru, Mt. Kenya or Mt. Stanley). We generally don’t recommend this route except for extremely fit and acclimatized trekkers. Having said that; it has been done!
Umbwe can be done in 6 or 7 days.
Sample Route (6 Days):
- Day 1: Start at Umbwe Gate (1640m) and hike for 10km for ~5 to 6 hours with an altitude gain of 1290m to Umbwe Cave Camp (2930m).
- Day 2: Hike from Umbwe Cave Camp (2930m) 6km for ~4 to 5 hours with an altitude gain of 1030m to Barranco Camp (3960m).
- Day 3: Hike from Barranco Camp (3960m) 6km for ~3 to 4 hours with an altitude gain of 75m to Karanga Hut (4035m).
- Day 4: Hike from Karanga Hut (4035m) 6km for ~3 hours with an altitude gain of 605m to Barafu Hut (4640m).
- Day 5: Hike Barafu (4640m) 7km for ~6 to 7 hours with an altitude gain of 1255m to Uhuru Summit (5895m) then descend 18km for ~5 to 6 hours with an altitude loss of 2105m to Millennium Camp (3790m).
- Day 6: Descend from Millennium Camp (3790m) 13km for ~5 to 6 hours with an altitude loss of 2160m to Mweka Gate (1630m).
The Crater Camp Supplement is available upon special request. This adds one day to the route and will only be accommodated on a 7 day itinerary (8 days total on the mountain) for safety reasons.
The Western Breach Alternative finish is available upon specific request. The sample itinerary listed above will be amended to accommodate.
Pricing is based on the number of climbers in the group and the number of days on the mountain. Pricing below does not include non-mountain costs such as airport transfers and lodging. Those costs can be found by clicking here.
- Single: $2,196 USD
- Group of 2: $1,863 USD per person
- Group of 3: $1,713 USD per person
- Group of 4 to 8: $1,637 USD per person
- Single: $2,502 USD
- Group of 2: $2,146 USD per person
- Group of 3: $1,981 USD per person
- Group of 4 to 8: $1,898USD per person
For groups larger than 8 and climbs longer than 7 days, please inquire via email for a custom quote.