While Marangu used to be the most popular route on the mountain, Machame Route has taken over this title. As such, it sees high traffic volume, particularly in high season. An incredibly scenic forest route that is decent for acclimatization, Machame is great for the fit social climber. The route legs are a little steeper and longer than Marangu, Lemosho and Rongai.
Machame can be done in 7 or 8 days.
Sample Route (7 Days):
- Day 1: Start at Machame Gate (1790m) and hike for 11km for ~5 to 7 hours with an altitude gain of 1220m to Machame Camp (3010m).
- Day 2: Hike from Machame Camp (3010m) 9km for ~6 to 7 hours with an altitude gain of 890m to Shira 2 Camp (3900m).
- Day 3: Hike from Shira 2 Camp (3900m) 12km for ~6 to 7 hours with an altitude gain of 60m to Barranco Camp (3960m). During this day is the opportunity to climb Lava Tower to an altitude of 4640m.
- Day 4: Hike from Barranco Camp (3960m) 6km for ~3 to 4 hours with an altitude gain of 75m to Karanga Hut (4035m).
- Day 5: Hike from Karanga Hut (4035m) 6km for ~3 hours with an altitude gain of 605m to Barafu Hut (4640m).
- Day 6: Hike Barafu (4640m) 7km for ~6 to 7 hours with an altitude gain of 1255m to Uhuru Summit (5895m) then descend 18km for ~5 to 6 hours with an altitude loss of 2105m to Millennium Camp (3790m).
- Day 7: Descend from Millennium Camp (3790m) 13km for ~5 to 6 hours with an altitude loss of 2160m to Mweka Gate (1630m).
The Crater Camp Supplement is available upon special request. This adds one day to the route and will only be accommodated on a 7 day itinerary (8 days total on the mountain) for safety reasons.
The Western Breach Alternative finish is available upon specific request. The sample itinerary listed above will be amended to accommodate.
Pricing is based on the number of climbers in the group and the number of days on the mountain. Pricing below does not include non-mountain costs such as airport transfers and lodging. Those costs can be found by clicking here.
- Single: $2,489 USD
- Group of 2: $2,140 USD per person
- Group of 3: $1,977 USD per person
- Group of 4 to 8: $1,895 USD per person
- Single: $2,796 USD
- Group of 2: $2,422 USD per person
- Group of 3: $2,245 USD per person
- Group of 4 to 8: $2,156 USD per person
For groups larger than 8 and climbs longer than 8 days, please inquire via email for a custom quote.