Lemosho Route is a beautiful, relatively low traffic route that starts on the far west side of Kili. It begins by trekking through jungle (Montane Forest) before reaching the open Shira Plateau. If you keep a sharp look out, you’re likely to see a colobus monkey. The route is very enjoyable, quiet and easy going. Almost romantic. Once you reach Lava Tower, if you feel strong you can scramble up to its summit for an incredible view, enjoy lunch high up while you acclimatize, then head down to Barranco Camp where the other routes converge and you’ll join the unavoidable crowds and social climbing atmosphere in high season.
Lemosho can be done in 7 or 8 days.
Sample Route (8 Days):
- Day 1: Start at Lemosho Start Point (2385m) and hike for 5km for ~4 to 5 hours with an altitude gain of 395m to Mti Mkubwa (Big Tree Camp – 2780m).
- Day 2: Hike from Mti Mkubwa (2780m) 8km for ~6 to 7 hours with an altitude gain of 720m to Shira 1 Camp (3500m).
- Day 3: Hike from Shira 1 Camp (3500m) 7km for ~4 to 5 hours with an altitude gain of 400m to Shira 2 Camp (3900m).
- Day 4: Hike from Shira 2 Camp (3900m) 12km for ~6 to 7 hours with an altitude gain of 60m to Barranco Camp (3960m). During this day is the opportunity to climb Lava Tower to an altitude of 4640m.
- Day 5: Hike from Barranco Camp (3960m) 6km for ~3 to 4 hours with an altitude gain of 75m to Karanga Hut (4035m).
- Day 6: Hike from Karanga Hut (4035m) 6km for ~3 hours with an altitude gain of 605m to Barafu Hut (4640m).
- Day 7: Hike Barafu (4640m) 7km for ~6 to 7 hours with an altitude gain of 1255m to Uhuru Summit (5895m) then descend 18km for ~5 to 6 hours with an altitude loss of 2105m to Millennium Camp (3790m).
- Day 8: Descend from Millennium Camp (3790m) 13km for ~5 to 6 hours with an altitude loss of 2160m to Mweka Gate (1630m).
The Crater Camp Supplement is available upon special request. This adds one day to the route and will only be accommodated on a 7 day itinerary (8 days total on the mountain) for safety reasons.
The Western Breach Alternative finish is available upon specific request. The sample itinerary listed above will be amended to accommodate.
Pricing is based on the number of climbers in the group and the number of days on the mountain. Pricing below does not include non-mountain costs such as airport transfers and lodging. Those costs can be found by clicking here.
- Single: $2,593 USD
- Group of 2: $2,192 USD per person
- Group of 3: $2,011 USD per person
- Group of 4 to 8: $1,921 USD per person
- Single: $2,208 USD
- Group of 2: $2,474 USD per person
- Group of 3: $2,280 USD per person
- Group of 4 to 8: $2,182 USD per person
For groups larger than 8 and climbs longer than 7 days, please inquire via email for a custom quote.